Sunday, July 31, 2011

Molly

My husband and I have recently been discussing when and if we should move out of the city - we have 2 young boys and we are starting to have that inevitable conversation about moving to "the burbs".  I never thought I would be one of those people - in fact, I never intended to stay in Chicago as long as I have.  I grew up in Wisconsin (actually, I grew up in Rockford, IL and spent summers in Wisconsin, but for some reason, Wisconsin has always felt like "home").  We moved to Wisconsin year-round when I was in junior high, and my brother, sister, and I were ecstatic.  I love Wisconsin - I love the small towns where I grew up, I love the lakes, I love Friday Fish Frys and the friendly people.  I went to college at the University of Wisconsin-Madison and I can't think of a better place to have spent those 4 years.

So why am I in Chicago?  I moved here for graduate school and intended to stay for 2 years, get my masters, get a job, and get the heck out of the city.  What ended up happening is that I met my husband, started my career, and now am raising a family not far from downtown.  I was shocked to realize the other day that I have actually lived in Chicago longer than anywhere else - so why do I still insist that I am a "Wisconsin girl"?  I guess it's because my summers spent growing up in Wisconsin give me the happiest memories - experiences that have really shaped who I am.  Experiences that I want my kids to have.  Luckily, we visit their grandparents often and they are able to share in some of their mom's bliss. 

I have surprised myself in Chicago, and if and when we leave, I will miss it.  But there's something to be said about going "home".  I wonder if my Chicago-born and raised husband will ever be able to call Wisconsin "home"?  For now, we're happy to have the best of both worlds.            

No comments:

Post a Comment