Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Amanda

I believe that i am defined by all the struggle and obstacles i have been through in my life. I feel like as a younger child i had a very privleged life, I went on many vacations and pretty much had everything i wanted, little did i know what was ahead for me. When i was in middle school i found out my dad had a serious drug problem and it left us broke. A few years later my grandmother who pretty much raised me passed away and my grandfather as well in a matter of 4 days. That alone made me grow up very quick, I had to take on a lot of responsibility that many 12 year olds dont have to. I had to be strong for my family and I pretty much became like the rock and support system for my family. My mother got diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer when i was a freshman. She battled for 2 1/2 years and during that time I had to pretty much become my own person so that i could know i could survive without her. She passed away when i was 17 , I wasnt the rock anymore that my whole family saw me as being. I myself developed a horrible drinking problem and drug addiction. I got a DUI and that changed my life. I started to focus and get on the path to remembering who i was and who i wanted to be. I got a job, started going to school really getting my act together. With all these obstacles I am proud of myself that i didnt continue what i was doing. I am again the rock and support system that everyone goes to with every problem. I still believe i have a lot more to discover about myself but i do see myself as a very strong person that can come out on top after any situation. After all the negative situations I feel like the tables have turned, I am earning a living and providing myself with everything i need. I have been through a lot and love helping others in similar situations and tell them my experience and how i overcame it. I believe in the saying everything happens for a reason, I think all these things happened to me so I can help others.

2 comments:

  1. I like this. Very inspirational. o-o

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing all of this! Very well-written and a great window into who you are..

    ReplyDelete