Monday, August 1, 2011

Marylin

Before I started to re-write this blog once again, I had been sitting in front of the screen for quite some time trying to figure out what to say about myself. When you are put on the spot it is hard to define who you are. It is hard to sit and say, "this is who I am."
Well, I grew up in five different homes and two different states. When i was about three years old, my dad left my mom and at that point my mother had to figure out our lives and what to do with them. Being raised by a single mother has shaped who I am as a person in a way. Yes, I was born here, then moved to Texas. While I was in Texas I felt so lost, because I did not have any family and it was hard for me being the "new girl." The whole environment was so different compared to Chicago's. My very first day of school everyone looked at me as if they had never seen a girl. They seemed to be so shocked that I was from the "windy city" coming to a very hot weather state. The same routines every day, track running, square dancing in gym class, but as the time passed by I had to let my mom know that Texas wasn't for me. I graduated from fifth grade and returned to Chicago as soon as possible.
When I got to high school I realized I needed more distractions, so I joined my high schools Pom Squad. Whenever i would get up on that stage and dance, it was as if nothing mattered. All my fears, all my problems, everything seemed to disappear. I danced all my four years, and I will take that experience with me forever. Being on that team also made me grow as a person. It showed me the true meaning of teamwork.
So, why didn't I major in dance? I still ask myself that question all the time. As you can tell I am a very abstruse person. (I don't even get myself sometimes.) I figured, maybe I need to try something new in my life; I want to find something that defines me. So, i went with Journalism.
I hope to one day make it big. Coming to Columbia will definitely be a challenge that i am willing to take. Along the road soon I hope to find myself as a person, make wise decisions, and continue learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment